News & Events
What Women Need to Know About Divorce
What women need to know about divorce in a down economy: Newport Beach Family Law attorney Karen Rhyne, Esq. Will be featured speaker at women’s institute for financial education workshop.
When: Saturday, August 15, 2009 – 8:00 a.m.
Where: Merrill Lynch
4695 MacArthur Court, Suite 1500
Newport Beach, CA
Reservations: (949) 859-2963
What: The current economy is causing considerable strain on marriages in every socio-economic arena. Now more than ever, women need to protect and educate themselves with the information necessary to work through the painful and confusing process of divorce, particularly during the current economic slump.
To assist women who are currently in the process of a divorce, the Women’s Institute for Financial Education (WIFE) will present its monthly “Second Saturday” workshop “What Women Need to Know About Divorce” featuring Certified Family Law Specialist Karen Rhyne, Esq. of Michel & Rhyne, Newport Beach, who will conduct this informative workshop designed to help women take the next step, no matter where they are in the process of untying the knot.
Second Saturday deals with the legal, financial, family and personal issues of divorce in a logical, yet compassionate way. With the guidance of trained professionals, workshop participants gain greater understanding of the confusing divorce process.
WIFE.org Second Saturday Schedule of Events
8:00-8:30 a.m. – Registration
8:30-9:30 – Legal Issues
Presented by Karen Rhyne, Esq.
- The divorce process and legal fees
- Protecting yourself legally and financially
- Child custody; child and spousal support
9:30 – Break
9:45-10:45 – Family Issues presented by a PhD
- Dealing with a hostile spouse
- Helping your family cope with the stress of divorce
- Rebuilding self esteem
10:45-11:45 – Financial Issues presented by a financial advisor
- Preparing for divorce
- Dividing property
- The tax consequence of divorce
11:45-12:00 – Questions & Answers
12:00 – Break
12:15-1:00 Avoiding Divorce Court
- Mediated divorce
- Short-form divorce
About Karen A. Rhyne, Esq.
Karen A. Rhyne earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in 1980 from California State University Fullerton, in Fullerton, CA. In 1985, she earned her Juris Doctor degree from the Western State University School of Law in California.
Karen Rhyne was admitted to the California bar on June 11, 1985. She is an active member of the California Bar Association (member number 118645).
Ms. Rhyne was an Associate at the law firm of Tovstein & Kraetzer from 1985 through 1987. Since 1987, she and Michael Michel have been Partners at their own firm, Michel & Rhyne.
Karen has been a Certified Family Law Specialist since 1990. From 1991 to 2005, she was an Adjunct Professor at University of California at Irvine, teaching Family Law courses every quarter at the University of California Irvine Extension.
Other honors, activities, and publications include the following:
- California State Board Certified Specialist, Family Law (1990 to present)
- Arbitrator: Orange County Bar Association — Fee Dispute resolution (1999 to present)
- Editorial Board: Journal of Child Custody (2004 to present)
- Harbor Commissioner: Newport Beach Harbor Commission (2006 to present)
- “American Jurisprudence” honors in Criminal Procedure and Torts
- Member: Orange County Bar Association Professionalism Committee
- Member: Future Search, Orange County
- Co-Author: “Grant my ExParte” — Orange County Lawyer
The Women’s Institute for Financial Education (WIFE.org) is the oldest non-profit organization dedicated to providing financial education to women in their quest for financial independence.