News & Events
What Women Need to Know About Divorce in the Current Economy
“What Women Need to Know About Divorce in the Current Economy” will be presented by the Women’s Institute for Financial Education (WIFE)
When: Saturday, November 19, 2011 – 8:00 a.m. Registration
Where: Merrill Lynch 4695 MacArthur Court, Suite 1500
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Cost: No cost to attendees.
What: The current economy is causing considerable strain on marriages in every socio-economic arena. Now more than ever, women need to protect and educate themselves with the information necessary to work through the painful and confusing process of divorce, particularly during the current economic slump.
To assist women who are currently in the process of a divorce, the Women’s Institute for Financial Education (WIFE) will present its monthly “Second Saturday” workshop “What Women Need to Know About Divorce in a Down Economy” featuring Certified Family Law Specialist Karen Rhyne, Esq. of Michel & Rhyne, Newport Beach, who will conduct this informative workshop designed to help women take the next step, no matter where they are in the process of untying the knot.
Second Saturday deals with the legal, financial, family and personal issues of divorce in a logical, yet compassionate way. With the guidance of trained professionals, workshop participants gain greater understanding of the confusing divorce process.
WIFE.org Second Saturday Schedule of Events
8:00-8:30 a.m. – Registration
8:30-9:30 –Family Issues presented by Leslie Drozd, PhD
- Dealing with a hostile spouse
- Helping your family cope with the stress of divorce
- Effects of divorce on children
- Rebuilding self-esteem, recovery from grief and loss
9:45-10:45 –Legal Issues presented by Karen Rhyne, Esq., Certified Family Law Specialist
- The divorce process and legal fees
- Protecting yourself legally and financially
- Child custody; child and spousal support
- Avoiding divorce court o Mediated divorce o Short-form divorce
11:00-12:00 – Financial Issues presented by Megan Stirrat, Certified Divorce Financial Analyst
- Preparing for divorce
- Dividing property
- The tax consequences of divorce
12:00-12:30 – Questions & Answers
About Karen A. Rhyne, Esq.
Karen A. Rhyne earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in 1980 from California State University Fullerton, in Fullerton, CA. In 1985, she earned her Juris Doctor degree from the Western State University School of Law in California.
Karen Rhyne was admitted to the California bar on June 11, 1985. She is an active member of the California Bar Association (member number 118645).
Ms. Rhyne was an Associate at the law firm of Tovstein & Kraetzer from 1985 through 1987. Since 1987, she and Michael Michel have been Partners at their own firm, Michel & Rhyne.
Karen has been a Certified Family Law Specialist since 1990. From 1991 to 2005, she was an Adjunct Professor at University of California at Irvine, teaching Family Law courses every quarter at the University of California Irvine Extension.
Other honors, activities, and publications include the following:
- Editorial Board: Journal of Child Custody, The Haworth Press, Inc. (2004 to present)
- Arbitrator: Orange County Bar Association — Fee Dispute resolution (1999 to present)
- Member: California Bar Association (1985 to Present)
- Board of Directors: Kids Cancer Connection (1990 to 1995)
- Past Member: Future Search, Orange County
- Newport Beach Harbor Commissioner (2006 to Present)
- Former Chair/Current Member Newport Beach Harbor Commission (2009 to Present)
- Panelist: “Everything You Want to Know About Divorce”- WIFE Institute (2009 to Present)
The Women’s Institute for Financial Education (WIFE.org) is the oldest non-profit organization dedicated to providing financial education to women in their quest for financial independence.